1. BE PROACTIVE AND BLOG!
You need to differentiate yourself. What is different about you? To show that you are a Coach of the 21st Century you need your own blog and web-site. You should include:
- An online updated Resume /CV
- Testimonials –from previous clubs, players etc
- Video clips of yourself coaching, playing or talking
- Start a blog to highlight your key strengths (e.g. analysis, team play, positional play, fitness, youth development etc. etc.) And promote your blog.
START YOUR BLOG WHEN YOU ARE NOT LOOKING FOR A JOB SO IT’S THERE WHEN YOU NEED IT!!
View these as examples of blogs from soccer coaches :
And for overall guidance view this Blog into a job
Why? What are the benefits of blogging?
- Blogs are free, easy to create and update. They provide simple tools for adding links, photos and videos. The encourage responses .Blog posts can be created ahead of time and scheduled to be uploaded to the web. They provide an excellent medium for previewing tasks, consolidation, revision and reflection. BLOGS CAN BE PASSWORD PROTECTED AND VIEWABLE ONLY TO THOSE PEOPLE PROVIDE WITH ACCESS
- By reflecting on what you have been doing by linking to and/or embedding resources, you can help your players and coaches AND developing a resource which players and coaches can access and use in the future.
- IT’S AN ONGOING RESOURCE
- Photos and videos can be uploaded
- You can link to upload Power Point Presentations
- Discussions can be initiated and developed
- Messages can be posted
- It can be private
- Material can be archived and there is a search function
- You can also Sync your blog with your Twitter, Facebook and other accounts
NB They are easy to start but they do need feeding!
To read more view:
If you develop a blog that involves the use of the web to support coach and player programmes please let us know and –with your permission - we will feature it our blog
2. DEVELOPING A TRUSTED ONLINE NETWORK OT FRIENDS AND COLLEAGUES
You network in the real world so network online
- If you are not a member join www.LinkedIN.com ( if you need an invitation e-mail email@example.com )
- Establish a full Profile with photograph
- Join some of the groups dedicated to soccer coaching:
- Go to top right hand corner in LinkedIn and scroll down ‘groups’
- Type ‘ soccer coaching’ into the space
- Join groups like ‘ soccer interactive ‘
- Join in discussions & post comments –don’t ask for a job straight way – get known and then ask for advice.
- Also go to Jobs in top right hand corner and type in ‘soccer ‘ coach ‘football coach ‘ for the area where you want a job
- After some weeks ‘Google ‘yourself in the search section – as prospective employers would .The search should highlight your blog and your LinkedIn profile amongst other items – are you happy with want they would see?
Also if you are a member of the LMA School of Football Management then network with the 1,000 + learners online in 30 countries (for further details go to www.sportspth.com)
Also view : ‘10 Ideas how to use Social Media for Professional Development’ 10 ideas
Set up Google Alerts for details of Jobs that become available (see ‘Skills’ in this blog for details of how to set up Google Alerts)
- Set the alerts for relevant items e.g.
- ‘ Soccer coach sacked ‘ ( Google picks up assoiciation football and soccer for soccer but Google can equate football to be American Football )
- ‘Soccer coach vacancy’
- ‘ Hiring soccer coach ‘
- Respond to the news – who do you know ,online and personally , who can provide more information
- Promote your blog and/or your website
4. TARGET ASSOCIATIONS:
Working for a State, County, National or Continental Football Associations you get paid to develop relationships with clubs, colleges, schools, other associations etc.
A job with these organizations – at whatever level- gives you a great opportunity to work hard, contribute to the development of the game and ….network!
Try clicking on these
5. SEARCH ADVERSTISED VACANCIES
Check out simple websites that advertise jobs
- http://www.football-jobs.com/ ( + you can follow this site on twitter )
Comment below please :
- Was this helpful? Have you any observations?
- Have you tried any of these methods? What were your results?
- How have you used the web to help you get a job?
If you have a blog with specific material on how to use the web to get jobs in soccer please let us know and we will promote your blog on this site
Click on the Comments Section below to see examples and also see some further examples of coaches with their own blogs or websites .Click onto their names below